From Wiki 2005
- A blackout is a large-scale disruption in electric power supply.
- A blackout is also a reduction in lighting to protect a place from enemy attack.
- In theater, a blackout is the act of turning off all the stage lights, for some duration, for dramatic reasons. Acts will frequently end with a blackout.
- A communications blackout is when radio or telephone contact is not permitted or not possible.
- Similarly, a blackout (broadcasting) is a regulatory ban on the broadcasting of an event. For instance, a television network may not be allowed to show a sporting event to a certain region.
- A blackout can mean an episode of fainting, or in medical jargon, syncope (See also G-LOC).
- A blackout is also a loss of the memory of a given period of time due to the effects of alcohol.
- Blackout is also the name of a 1982 album by The Scorpions.
- Blackout is also the name of a 2003 album by Dropkick Murphys.
- Blackout was an American game show that briefly aired on CBS.