December begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Sagittarius and ends in the sign of Capricorn. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Ophiuchus, which is the only zodiacal constellation that is not counted as an astrological sign, and ends in the constellation of Sagittarius.
- The United Nations has designated December 10 as Human Rights Day.
- The solstice called the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere and the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere occurs on dates varying from 20 December to 23 December (in UTC). In the pagan wheel of the year the winter solstice is the time of Yule and the summer solstice is that of Litha.
- Christmas is celebrated as a holiday in much of the western world and is a religious day, second in importance only to Easter for Christians.
- In Ireland, December 26 is called St. Stephen's Day and is a public holiday. In the Irish calendar the month is called Mí na Nollag (literally "The Month of Christmas") and is the middle month of the Winter season.
- In the United Kingdom, the weekday after December 25 is called Boxing Day and is a public holiday.
- In Canada, Boxing Day is also celebrated, always on December 26. Many retail stores sell their Christmas overstock at significant discounts on this day.
- The Jewish holiday of Hanukkah usually takes place in the month of December, but can occur in November.
- The holiday Festivus is sometimes celebrated on the 23rd.
- The weeklong African American holiday of Kwanzaa is celebrated from December 26 through January 1
- From the December 23 until the first Tuesday of January, the Philippines' Metropolitan Manila celebrates a film festival.
- December always begins with the same day of the week as September.
- December's flower is the holly.
- December's birthstone is tanzinite
- In Finnish, December is called joulukuu, meaning "month of Christmas", since about the 18th century. Earlier it was called talvikuu, meaning "month of winter".
- In Irish, December is called Mí na Nollaig, meaning "month of Christmas".
- In the old Japanese calendar, the month is called Shiwasu (師走).
|January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December|
als:Dezember an:Abiento ang:Gēolmōnaþ ar:ديسمبر ast:Avientu be:Сьнежань bg:Декември br:Kerzu bs:Decembar ca:Desembre ceb:Disyembre cs:Prosinec csb:Gòdnik cv:Раштав cy:Rhagfyr da:December de:Dezember el:Δεκέμβριος eo:Decembro es:Diciembre et:Detsember eu:Abendu fa:دسامبر fi:Joulukuu fo:Desember fr:Décembre fur:Dicembar fy:Desimber ga:Nollaig gl:Decembro he:דצמבר hr:Prosinac hu:December ia:Decembre id:Desember ie:Decembre ilo:Deciembre io:Decembro is:Desember it:Dicembre ja:12月 jv:Desember ka:დეკემბერი kn:ಡಿಸೆಂಬರ್ ko:12월 ku:Berfanbar kw:Mys Kevardhu la:December lb:Dezember li:December lt:Gruodis lv:Decembris mi:Hakihea mr:डिसेंबर ms:Disember nap:Dicembre nl:December nn:Desember no:Desember oc:Decembre pam:Disiembri pl:Grudzień pt:Dezembro ro:Decembrie ru:Декабрь scn:Dicèmmiru sco:December se:Juovlamánnu simple:December sk:December sl:December sq:Dhjetori sr:Децембар sv:December sw:Desemba ta:டிசம்பர் te:డిసెంబర్ th:ธันวาคม tl:Disyembre tpi:Disemba tr:Aralık tt:Dekäber uk:Грудень ur:دسمبر vi:Tháng 12 vo:Dekul wa:Decimbe war:Disyembre zh:12月