November begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Scorpio and ends in the sign of Sagittarius. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Libra, passes through Scorpius from approximately the 24th through the 29th and ends in the constellation of Ophiuchus, which is the only zodiacal constellation that is not counted as an astrological sign.
The name is from the Latin novem for "nine". November was the ninth month in the Roman calendar until a monthless winter period (summer in the southern hemisphere) was divided between January and February.
In old Japanese calendar, the month is called Shimo tsuki (霜月).
Events in November
- In the pagan wheel of the year November begins at or near Samhain in the northern hemisphere and Bealtaine in the southern hemisphere.
- All Saints' Day, a Christian holiday. Observance is on November 1, the day after Halloween. In Sweden the All Saints' official holiday takes place on the first Saturday of November.
- In Ireland November 1 is regarded as the first day of Winter.
- November 1 is called November Day (Lá Samhna) in Celtic tradition and is thus named in the Irish Calendar, where the month is called Mí na Samhna.
- In Australia, the Melbourne Cup horse race is held annually on the first Tuesday in November.
- In the United States, elections are held on the Tuesday after the first Monday of November. They therefore fall between November 2 and November 8. In even numbered years, members of the House of Representatives are elected to two-year terms, and about one third of the U.S. Senate are elected to six-year terms. The President of the United States is elected in years divisible by four. Most U.S. states, counties, and municipalities have some part of their election cycle coincident with this date.
- Americans celebrate Thanksgiving holiday on the fourth Thursday of November, with the following Friday being also a day off from work for many.
- Around November 17 the Leonids reach their peak.
- In Britain and New Zealand Guy Fawkes night is celebrated on November 5, the anniversary of the failed Gunpowder Plot.
- November is NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month.
- Movember, a monthlong celebration of moustaches occurs.
- November begins on the same day of the week as March every year and also February except in leap years.
- November's flower is the chrysanthemum.
- November's birthstone is the topaz.
- In Finnish, November is called marraskuu, meaning "month of the dead".
|January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December|
als:November an:Nobiembre ang:Blōtmōnaþ ar:نوفمبر ast:Payares be:Лістапад bg:Ноември br:Du bs:Novembar ca:Novembre ceb:Nobiyembre cs:Listopad csb:Lëstopadnik cv:Чӳк cy:Tachwedd da:November de:November el:Νοέμβριος eo:Novembro es:Noviembre et:November eu:Azaro fa:نوامبر fi:Marraskuu fo:November fr:Novembre fur:Novembar fy:Novimber ga:Samhain gl:Novembro he:נובמבר hr:Studeni hu:November ia:Novembre id:November ie:Novembre ilo:Noviembre io:Novembro is:Nóvember it:Novembre ja:11月 jv:November ka:ნოემბერი kn:ನವೆಂಬರ್ ko:11월 ku:Sermawez kw:Mys Du la:November lb:November li:November lt:Lapkritis lv:Novembris mi:Whiringa-ā-rangi mr:नोव्हेंबर ms:November nap:Nuvembre nl:November nn:November no:November oc:Novembre pl:Listopad pt:Novembro ro:Noiembrie ru:Ноябрь scn:Nuvèmmiru sco:November se:Skábmamánnu simple:November sk:November sl:November sq:Nëntori sr:Новембар sv:November ta:நவம்பர் th:พฤศจิกายน tl:Nobyembre tpi:Novemba tr:Kasım tt:Nöyäber uk:Листопад ur:نومبر vi:Tháng mười một vo:Novul wa:Nôvimbe war:Nobyembre zh:11月