A category scheme is a way to index Wikipedia articles. Many category schemes are possible, and there is no scheme that is clearly the best.
Category schemes include:
- Lists of articles
- Using the Category mechanism (see Wikipedia:Categorization)
- Wikipedia:Browse by overview - Table of Contents of major articles
- Template:Wikipediatoc with icons - TOC with icons
- Wikipedia arranged by topic
- Articles by subject category
- Academic disciplines
- Library of Congress Classification
- Dewey Decimal System
- Organised by Roget's Thesaurus classification
- SUMO classes
- Sequence, Process, Cycle
- Hierarchy, Rank, Priority
Many of these categories are incomplete — some categorise only the broadest topics, others don't even get that far. See the talk page for other proposed category schemes.