September begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Virgo and ends in the sign of Libra. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Leo and ends in the constellation of Virgo.
Events in September
- It is the start of the academic year in some countries, mostly in the west.
- In Venice on the first Sunday of September the regata storica is held, a parade as prelude to the rowing contests known as regattas.
- Labor Day is observed on the first Monday in September in the United States and Canada(spelled Labour Day).
- In Japan, Respect for the Aged Day is a national holiday celebrated on the third Monday of September. Autumnal Equinox Day is also a national holiday.
- In the Netherlands on the second Tuesday in September is known as prinsjesdag. The government presents its annual budget. The queen rides to the parliament in a gilded coach and reads the plans for the coming year to the States-general.
- The equinox named the autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere and the vernal or spring equinox in the southern hemisphere occurs on dates varying from 21 September to 24 September (in UTC). In the pagan wheel of the year the spring equinox is the time of Ostara and the autumn equinox is that of Mabon.
- In KwaZulu-Natal, king Shaka is commemorated on the last Sunday of September.
- Somewhat ironically, the German Oktoberfest and the Chinese August Moon festival (more correctly called the Mid-Autumn Festival) both occur in September.
- In Australia, Father's Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of September.
- September begins on the same day of the week as December every year.
- September's flower is the morning glory.
- September's birthstone is the sapphire.
- In the year 1752, in the British Empire, the Gregorian calendar was adopted and as a result September did not have days numbered 3–13.
- On Usenet, it is said that September 1993 never ended.
|January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December|
csb:Séwnik da:September de:September el:Σεπτέμβριος eo:Septembro es:Septiembre et:September fa:سپتامبر fi:Syyskuu fr:Septembre fur:Setembar fy:Septimber ga:Meán Fómhair gl:Setembro he:ספטמבר hr:Rujan hu:Szeptember id:September ie:Septembre io:Septembro is:September it:Settembre ja:9月 jv:September ka:სექტემბერი ko:9월 la:September lb:September li:September lt:Rugsėjis lv:Septembris mr:सप्टेंबर ms:September nl:September nn:September no:September oc:Setembre pl:Wrzesień pt:Setembro ro:Septembrie ru:Сентябрь simple:September sk:September sl:September sq:Shtatori sr:Септембар sv:September th:กันยายน tl:Setyembre tr:Eylül tt:Sentäber uk:Вересень ur:ستمبر vi:Tháng chín vo:Setul wa:Setimbe zh:9月