Wikiquote is a sister project of Wikipedia, using the same MediaWiki software. It is one of a family of wiki-based projects run by the Wikimedia Foundation. Based on an idea by Daniel Alston and implemented by Brion Vibber, the goal of the project is to produce collaboratively a vast reference of quotations from prominent people, books and proverbs, and to give details about them. Wikiquote
- November, 2004 - 24 languages
- March, 2005 - Wikiquote reaches 10,000 pages in total. English edition has close to 3000 pages
- June, 2005 - 34 languages including one classic (Latin) and one artificial (Esperanto)
- 4 November, 2005 - The English Wikiquote reaches 5,000 pages
In July 2004, about 70 subdomains were set up, but most of them have no contributors. The followings are parts of subdomains which had been created in July 2004: all of them were attracted by editors' interest at the time and soon became active.
- Arabic language http://ar.wikiquote.org/
- English language http://en.wikiquote.org/
- Bulgarian language http://bg.wikiquote.org/
- Chinese language http://zh.wikiquote.org/
- Dutch language http://nl.wikiquote.org/
- German language http://de.wikiquote.org/
- Greek language http://el.wikiquote.org/
- French language http://fr.wikiquote.org/
- Polish language http://pl.wikiquote.org/
- Italian language http://it.wikiquote.org/
- Japanese language http://ja.wikiquote.org/
- Korean language http://ko.wikiquote.org/
- Romanian language http://ro.wikiquote.org/
- Spanish language http://es.wikiquote.org/
- Tamil language http://ta.wikiquote.org/
- Thai language http://th.wikiquote.org/
- Afrikaans language http://af.wikiquote.org/
- Portuguese language http://pt.wikiquote.org/
- Turkish language http://tr.wikiquote.org/
- Hebrew language http://he.wikiquote.org
- Hungarian language http://hu.wikiquote.org
The number of active Wikiquote projects is growing. On January 2005 26 language projects were active. Here 'active' means the project has at least one legitimate article and one edit within a month. After a half year, 34 language projects are known as active.
As of October 17, 2005, seven projects have more than 1,000 articles. The biggest Wikiquote is the English project with over 5,000 articles, following German, French, Bulgarian, Polish, Italian and Portuguese projects. Around twenty projects, including those seven, have more than 100 articles.
To date, Wikiquote has had four logos. The original logos contained the following quotations:
- I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to.
cs:Wikicitáty de:Wikiquote es:Wikiquote fr:Wikiquote id:Wikiquote is:Wikiquote it:Wikiquote he:ויקיציטוט hu:Wikidézet nl:Wikiquote ja:ウィキクォート no:Wikiquote pl:Wikicytaty pt:Wikiquote sco:Wikiquote sk:Wikicitáty fi:Wikisitaatit sv:Wikiquote ta:விக்கி மேற்கோள் th:วิกิคำคม zh:维基语录